Monday 9 April 2012

Country Living Feature & Rose Nest



The May issue of Country Living is featuring an article about my work and goes on sale in the shops on April 12th. The process of being chosen for the feature started last year so it will be very exciting to see the magazine out in the shops.
Louise Elliott Chief Sub/Associate Editor, Country Living Magazine came out to Rutland to interview me in my studio last May. We spent the day together talking about the influences in my paintings and prints and how I arrived at being a full time maker. I found the chance to talk about my work very beneficial; it was good to be questioned about why I use the images I do. Louise was both a good listener and interviewer and made me feel I could talk with ease but still be challenged on my methods of working. We also spent some time walking with the dogs though the surrounding fields, which are the background to my work, as well as part of my daily routine, and working practice. Louise has produced a lovely piece of writing that I feel gives a real insight in to my painting and my life in Wing. We also managed to fit in lunch at our local pub The Kings Arms and a brief visit to our lovely farm shop at Wing Hall

The next part of the process was the photographs, so a few weeks later I met Laura Edwards one of CLs photographer’s. Laura was very relaxed and easy to work with. For the brief CL had given her Laura required of a number of specific shots to illustrate the text. One of the images needed was a close up of a bird, not always an easy thing to obtain. We stood in the kitchen chatting about the best places to go achieve this, and as if on queue, a beautiful male bullfinch flows into the tree outside my kitchen window. Laura was able to get some fantastic shots while still standing in my kitchen with the bird just a couple of feet away, one of these is in the feature. Laura took photos of me and my dogs round the village as well me  drawing in the farmland  and painting in my studio. She took a large number of shots at each location, explaining this was normal practice and that out of hundreds of shots they would only use 6 - 8.
 I have to say before meeting Laura and Louise I was very ignorant of the huge amount of work that goes into each issue and article. All the planning of locations and different makers and changing times of year. I would like to thank Laura and Louise as well as all the team at country Living for  just a stunning result. I do hope CL readers enjoy the article as much as I enjoyed taking part.
Rose Nest
Country Living have also asked me to produce a special edition original print as a CL readers offer. For this I have made Rose Nest, a lino and silkscreen, please see Country Living May issue for more details. 





1 comment:

  1. Hello Angela,

    I have just received my copy of Country Living and I have read the article. How wonderful for an artist to have her works published in such beautiful magazine.
    I love your poetic work, your universe. it makes me dream.

    I am a french artist living in the Paris region.

    ReplyDelete